In Tang Soo Do, we build a practitioner's ability up through One Step Sparring. As its name implies the student and a partner execute a pre-planned series of moves, one step at a time to practice:
- Technique - For example, how do you block a punch and counter punch at the same time?
- Distance - How far away do you have to be, i.e. how long is your arm and leg?
- Timing - How fast do you have to move, i.e. how long can you wait before countering an attack?
- Long Distance Fighting (Sometimes called Children's Long Distance)
- One Step Sparring (White through Green Belt)
- Red Belt One Step Sparring
- Fighting Techniques
- Black Belt One Step Sparring
Here is a technique described in two posts that seem to help students with both issues: