Sunday, July 28, 2013

Of fairies, Witches, Wizards, and the Patently Offensive

Do you believe in wizards, witches, magic spells, and incantations? Well, neither do I, so I am somewhat surprised when I hear the phrase, “Patently offensive.” I had a student ask me what they should do if someone uses a patently offensive name against them.

For the sake of delivering my message in a family friendly blog, let’s assume the patently offensive phrase is, “you’re a jerk,” but you can use your imagination, or any PG-13 movie script and come up with much worse. Isolating offensive phrases might be even easier if you belong to certain minority groups. I’m sure you’ve heard them all.

So, how should a trained martial artist respond to “You’re a jerk!” (or worse). My answer lies in your belief in fairies, wizards, and magic incantations.

What if I were to tell you that I am a wizard and that I can, through the mere utterance of certain magic incantations, cause you to behave in anger, possibly invoking a violent reaction? Would you believe it if I said, I can wave my hand, utter a few syllables, and you would be helplessly under my spell. My magic would invoke anger, you would lose your cool, possibly your temper. I could get you to throw the first punch!

You would deny it. You would suggest that I have been sniffing the mushroom garden again, and that such power does not exist. Magical incantations are myth, the subject of Hollywood, and J. K. Rowling.

And yet, we hear that phrase used all the time; “Patently offensive.” It is not possible to claim that something offends you and does not lead to an emotional reaction. The words offensive and emotion are inexorably linked. You cannot have one without the other.

Some things should be patently offensive. Genocide for example. Child cruelty. Animal cruelty. Physical abuse. There are some things that should cause an immediate emotional response.

But words? Name calling? How can it be, that a person would allow their very emotional infrastructure to be spontaneously activated by incantations? I would never give that power to another person. I would never give control of my emotional state over to another person, and certainly not a person who intended to cause me harm.

There are no bad emotions, except those that cannot be channeled to your benefit. Allowing another person to “push your buttons” with “magic” words, names, or phrases shows a lack of discipline, and frankly, incredible vulnerability. As a martial artist you should feel capable of defending yourself against a physical attack, so unless and until one starts, stay cool. (You should stay cool then, too!)

There is no value in giving an adversary the power to invoke your anger through archaic words and phrases. These words have no magic unless you provide it. Simply choose not to care.

1 comment:

  1. Master Meredith:

    Like the MMA challenger-camp says, I'd still like to see you back up your lectures with an MMA challenge match. These professorial lectures of yours just aren't going to cut it with the Connor McGregor wannabes & crew....

    The MMA internet "scene" has a whole dynamic of support for the MMA sport machine and the social interaction thereto. Huge volumes of the MMA commentary out there, however clever & socially sophisticate, is really from the lips of the non-participant or the second audience I want to speak to.

    While I put the issue of a challenge match on the table, should the MMA naysayers of Professor Mededith and his blog want my support for your challenge match, then they have to interview for the job.

    The job requirement is that they first obtain a red-belt or blue belt in karate (I'll give on the full black-belt)--but not just any school. They have to train at C.S. Kim under, yes you M. Meredith.

    While my requirement may seem an imposition, I webbed Pittsburgh and there are at least a couple of MMA schools who profess to understand and train karate along with other sport fighting styles. I concur that's a valid business model. The real point is that there is no reason then that a representative can't coast over to your dojang and sail right through the black-belt program.

    The wisdom is all keyboard warriors are instantly eliminated. Secondly, we have a competitor that professes seriously to want to understand traditional karate.

    >>> You see that is the real value of the hypothetical challenge match.

    I might make an exception for the Fightland Author who professes (just recently) there's no practical fighting value in karate basics. My admonition to M. Meredith would be not to break too many of his toes and fingers in the process--we want him at his best when he faces you for real....

    ReplyDelete

This blog is dedicated to learning, studying, and teaching martial arts.

Follow by Email