Sunday, March 6, 2011

Please, Wash Your Uniform

In Tang Soo Do, we call our martial art uniform a Do Bok. Other arts call it a Gi ("gee", with a hard ‘g’ like go). We have two uniform weights, one fairly lightweight, it's made out of cotton, and the other made (I swear) from tent canvas. The heavy weight Do Bok will get you sweating in no time.

Sweating has never been a problem for me as I start seeping as soon as we line up and I don’t stop until I’m halfway home. Sweating is part of a good workout and everybody does it. But I’m convinced that some of our walking human gland farms are totally oblivious to their own odiferousness. I don’t want to be rude, but as they say in the NFL, C’mon Man!

I’ve seen uniforms that could walk themselves to the laundry and qualify for food stamps. I've seen Do Boks that looked like they escaped from an M. Night Shyamalan flick. Here’s a clue, Do Boks are white, not yellow. Everybody sweats; sweating is not the problem nor the issue. But, failing to properly launder your Do Bok is an affront to your martial art, your classmates, and your self respect.

1 comment:

  1. It's always fun when your grappling and you know there gi hasn't been washed in weeks! Foul!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is dedicated to learning, studying, and teaching martial arts.

Follow by Email